How to speak like a Brit when you travel to England

A lot of people consider British English romantic and charming; others think that it is too conservative. However, when you plan your visit to the UK, you should be aware of the language differences that can cause you trouble. We have prepared a special list of words and phrases to use which will help you better understand British people and communicate like a local.

Britons are famous all over the world for their love of tea. They like to drink it quite often. But don’t be surprised when they ask for a cuppa or a brew, because it means that they’re asking for a cup of tea (it’s not about coffee). You may thank them with a simple, “Ta!”

People don’t stand in lines in London, they just “queue up”.

Double-decker bus in night London

 Double-decker bus in night London

 If you like pubs, you should definitely visit one in England. There, you can enjoy watching football, which is the most popular sport in the country. Many Brits watch their favorite teams at the stadium or on the telly. Remember that “football” is not the NFL you watch on Super Bowl Sunday, but soccer.

If you are looking for romance in your trip, note that “snogging” means “kissing”, and “shagging” goes for “hooking up”.

How to speak like a Brit when you travel to England

In case you have a rough discussion or debate with someone, you don’t call it an argument, but “a row”.

If you are surprised, excited or shocked, say “Blimey!” instead of the more customary Canadian “wow!”.

Americans and Canadians say “I’ll call you” when promising to stay in contact with somebody, while Brits would rather say “I’ll give you a ring”. However, it has nothing in common with an actual ring on a finger.

How to speak like a Brit when you travel to England

If you become friendly with locals, they can call you a “bruv”, meaning a dude or a bro, or just a friend, or a “bloke”, meaning a man, and a mate is just a friend of any gender.

If you are invited to drink tea with biscuits, it means they want tea with a cookie.

You probably know that England is a land of rain and fog, so it’s  good to take a brolly with you (that’s an umbrella), but don’t tell someone that your pants are wet – “pants” means underwear in UK. It’s better to use “trousers” instead.

Share this tour with your friend