It has been a few months since the famous Latin American song “Despacito” (“Little by Little, Softly”) was released, and in that time it has garnered more than three billion views on YouTube! Despite being published in January, the song can rightly be considered an anthem for summer 2017.
Thanks to the great performing artists Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, Puerto Rico has become a top destination for millions of tourists, and its popularity continues to grow.
Today we are going to make suggestions for splendid holidays you can have in Puerto Rico by following the lyrics of the song:
“Vamos a hacerlo en una playa en Puerto Rico” (“Let’s do it on a beach in Puerto Rico”)
What’s the main reason people come to this stunning island for vacation? Beaches – of course! The sparkling white-sand coastline, exquisite scenery, palm groves, and terrific undersea life exemplify Puerto Rico’s undeniable reputation as a great place to visit.
If you are looking for a high-class beach holiday, you should definitely come here! But let’s be more specific: What are the acclaimed tourist getaways and “playas” that Luis Fonsi sings about in his hit?
- Flamenco Beach (Location: Culebra Island – known for gorgeous diving sites, shallow coastal waters, and sparkling white sand)
- Playa Sucia (Location: Cabo Rojo – one of the most popular sites for Puerto Ricans; seems to be undiscovered so far by tourists)
- Sun Bay Beach (Location: Vieques Island, a large coastline with palm trees and sparkling sands)
- Ocean Park Beach (Location: San Juan – relaxing, rather secluded, and extremely romantic)
- Isla Verde Beach (one of the most popular beaches in Puerto Rico; here you can enjoy numerous hotels and beach activities)
- Playa Tortuga (Location: near Culebrita Island; accessible only by boat)
- Barrero Beach (Located on Rincon, Puerto Rico’s west coast – a most romantic getaway)
- Isla Palomonitos (a real heaven on earth; Location: Puerto Rico’s east coast)
“Tengo que bailar contigo hoy” (“I have to dance with you today”)
For those who love dancing, the islands of Puerto Rico offer a range of local dances you can try to better explore the culture and get a feel for Latin rhythm. Join a variety of street and night clubs or take part in dance festival activities during your vacation; you will never regret giving the experience a go!
A famous and truly exalted popular dance in Puerto Rico, MERENGUE, is so well known that its rhythm is widely used in modern songs of famous Latin artists such as Shakira, Ricky Martin, J Balvin, and Enrique Iglesias. Merengue was first composed in the Dominican Republic; in Puerto Rico it has two variations: classic and figure merengue, which differ by steps and style of dance.
Another popular dance is PLENA, which is dancing in pairs, but originally partners danced separately. Some variations of plena dancing are accompanied by drum beats.
BOMBA is an active, vivid, and very Puerto Rican dance. Developed at the end of the 19th century, it was initially used to commemorate baptisms and was mainly celebrated by West African slaves. The dance consists of fast steps, quick moves, and a very seductive rhythm.
To Book Your Trip
Contact our Travel Advisors:1.877.999.4768